Skip to content

ISVAs and advocates

Many Rape Crisis Centres provide specialist services for people who want to, or are thinking about, reporting to the police.

These specialist staff are called advocacy workers or ISVAs.

If you want to report sexual violence to the police - or are thinking about it - we can help.

You may be able to get an advocacy worker or ISVA (Independent Sexual Violence Advocate) at your local Rape Crisis centre.

Their main role is to provide practical and emotional support if you want to report to the police, or are thinking about reporting.

An ISVA will:

  • Talk you through your options and what might happen if you report.
  • Keep you informed at each stage of the process, and let you know what is happening with your case.
  • Provide emotional and practical support at every stage.

They should make sure any support and information meets your needs.

You don't have to have already made a report to the police. If you're at the point of considering your options and want more information, an ISVA might be able to help you.

Like all Rape Crisis workers, a Rape Crisis advocate or ISVA will listen and believe you. They will not put pressure on you to make any decisions or take any action you're not comfortable with.

Sometimes there is a lower age limit for these services. Some Rape Crisis Centres only offer ISVA services to survivors aged 18+, for example. Some Rape Crisis Centres provide specialist children's advocacy services, and workers who deliver these are sometimes called CHISVAs.

Want to speak to an ISVA?

Contact your local Rape Crisis Centre to see what services they provide.

If you are thinking of reporting to the police, and want information and support, you can speak to an ISVA.

Find your local centre
Illustration of a woman in a wheelchair charring on video call to four other women. On her lap is a little cat.