What you might experience
It's common to have difficulties with sleep after experiencing sexual violence.
Problems with sleep
You might experience some of the following:
- fear of falling asleep and having nightmares
- nightmares - more than just bad dreams, you might feel like you're re-experiencing sexual violence
- feeling tired due to poor sleep
- insomnia - being unable to sleep
- waking up throughout the night
Sleep problems have further effects on our wellbeing. You might feel:
- tired all the time
- grumpy and irritable
- stressed about being unable to get to sleep at night or worried about having nightmares
- mentally exhausted from constantly thinking about sexual violence through your nightmares
If you can reduce your anxiety levels, this could lead to fewer nightmares and better sleep.