Funding Campaign News
22 Jun 2010
FUNDING CAMPAIGN NEWS: Rape Crisis groups in England and Wales are asking for reassurance from the Coalition Government that it will keep its sustainable funding commitment to Rape Crisis.
The Coalition Government’s commitment to sustainable funding for Rape Crisis services is a direct result of the publicly acknowledged critical situation that member groups of Rape Crisis (England and Wales) are in, as highlighted by ‘The Crisis in Rape Crisis’ and numerous other independent reports. It was also an outcome of sustained and consistent lobbying and campaigning by Rape Crisis (England and Wales) and its supporters, who are gravely concerned about the consequences of the historic neglect and lack of funding for Rape Crisis groups, which led to 10 centres closing in 5 years.
Along with numerous verbal public and parliamentary statements promising sustainable funding for Rape Crisis from both the Conservative and Liberal Democrat parties, the Coalition Government has told us that it will adopt a ‘common sense’ attitude to addressing the ‘needs of society by enabling funding to deliver innovative and personalised services to the community.’ They have committed to: Freedom, Fairness and Responsibility.
Please join us in insisting that the Coalition Government honours its commitment to Rape Crisis.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- Join our supporters’ group on Facebook
- Publicise the group and this event page to all your Facebook friends and encourage others to join and do the same
- Send a letter to Theresa May MP, Home Secretary and Minister for Women and Equalities, voicing your support for a specific, long-term, sustainable fund for Rape Crisis groups, so that the crisis in Rape Crisis ends once and for all. Send our template letter (as it is or personalise it first) to urge David and Theresa to honour their commitment to Rape Crisis (England and Wales). /userfiles/TemplatelettertoTheresaMay.doc
- Ask your MP to support the right of sexual violence victims/survivors in your area to access vital Rape Crisis services. You can find out how to contact your local MP at: www.theyworkforyou.com
- Ask your MP and the Government for parity with the Scottish model of funding for Rape Crisis in England and Wales.